Many civilian pilots start their career as flight instructors. It is a great way to learn your trade while making a living and building your time. As a low time pilot, the best way to continue your education and build flight time is to become a Certified Flight Instructor.
To be eligible for Certified Flight Instructor – CFI, a person must:
- Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language, or have such operating limitations placed on his/her pilot certificate as are necessary for safety.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Obtain books & supplies
- Hold either a Commercial Helicopter Certificate or Airline Transport Pilot Certificate
- Obtain at least 3 hours of helicopter instruction and any necessary as to be proficient to pass the FAA flight examination
- Have at least 15 hours as Pilot in Command in a Helicopter
- Pass a FAA written (two part), oral, and flight examination
Average course completion time: 3 to 5 weeks